Layout Editor/Graphic Artist, part-time
PLEASE READ COMPLETELY BEFORE APPLYING FOR THE JOB.
(If you are not comfortable reading this much text, you are NOT qualified for the position!)
MEDIA TRENDS seeks an experienced Layout Editor to work on-site, taking multiple projects through all stages of production. The preferred candidate excels in editing, design, print production, project management and customer service. A majority of the work is done on a Macintosh platform.
WHAT DOES MEDIA TRENDS DO?
The company acts as a production department for schools and other organizations, providing design, layout, printing and delivery services for newspapers and other school publications.
WHAT ARE THE JOB REQUIREMENTS FOR THE LAYOUT EDITOR?
The Layout Editor will be required to:
* Design page layouts in QuarkXPress or InDesign.
* Use strong page layout skills (master pages, style sheets, libraries, work-arounds, clip art, etc.) to produce layouts with (and WITHOUT) instructions.
* Input text and format copy using journalistic standards (Associated Press Stylebook is used).
* Apply strong copy-editing skills to make pages fit, improve headlines and write captions.
* Scan and adjust photographs in Photoshop to meet printing specs.
* Work with Pagemaker, Publisher, Quark and InDesign files submitted by clients, and make necessary adjustments to student-designed layouts.
* Prepare pages for digital output as PDF files. Adobe Acrobat/Distiller experience a plus.
* Have thorough knowledge of typesetting terminology such as leading, pica, points, etc.
* Communicate promptly and clearly with clients, making sure that all instructions are carried out to the clients’ satisfaction while meeting deadlines.
* Keep track of multiple projects and follow through to completion without supervision.
* Use superior communication skills in order to act as a liaison between clients, vendors, support staff, delivery personnel and internal management.
WHAT KIND OF PERSON WOULD LIKE THIS JOB?
The ideal candidate is organized, self-motivated, and detail-oriented. You must be able to exercise independent action when interpreting client’s instructions to produce a quality document, understand the intent of the instructions and assume responsibility for document accuracy and completeness. You must enjoy problem-solving and be able to juggle multiple tasks.
STRONG ENGLISH SKILLS ARE A MUST:
An editorial orientation is essential and a newspaper/journalism background is a plus. An understanding of offset printing is useful. Although art/design experience is not a requirement for the position, an understanding of layout and good visual sensibilities are absolutely necessary. CANDIDATES WILL BE REQUIRED TO TAKE A GRAMMAR/SPELLING TEST BEFORE BEING HIRED.
EXPERIENCE IN THE FOLLOWING IS PREFERRED:
QuarkXPress, Adobe Pagemaker, Microsoft Publisher, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Acrobat Professional and Distiller, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, FileMaker Pro and Internet skills. MAC OS 9/10 familiarity is helpful.
Take your summers off! We have a school-based schedule. This is a part-time position and requires flexibility in the work schedule. In this fast-paced, tight-deadline environment you must be willing to work extended hours as required. Candidate should be able to handle a constantly changing schedule.
WHERE SHOULD I SEND MY RESUME?
Qualified candidates should send their resumes in Microsoft Word or Acrobat PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org.